Amazon

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Seele - a delicious German bread roll.


At home I am not a big bread or cake eater. It is not that I don't like them. I would say that I am just not in the habit of buying them as I have tended to waste most loaves after eating only a few slices whilst living alone. However, when I go to Germany I happily chomp away on their bread, cakes and pasties as they are Lecker! or as we say - delicious!
 
 

Last week I was staying with my lovely German hosts, Andrea and Peter Voos and enjoyed nice hearty German breakfasts including some utterly divine Seele (soul) bread rolls. These are a bit like a small baguette but of a lighter, more open texture inside and the crust has salt crystals and caraway seeds adding extra flavour to the bread. Peter likes to get them from a favoured local baker in the village of Blankenloch on the outskirts of Karlsruhe. I seem to have a passion for salty food so these Seele bread rolls went down a treat. I wish there was a German baker in my own village to nip round early in the morning to get some handmade fresh out of the oven Seele!



I've copied the following from www.germanfoodguide.com to give a general overview of many German breads.

“As with German cooking, there is no one typical German bread. Each region in Germany has its own specialities and variations. In Northern Germany, dark and heavy breads, such as rye breads, are preferred. In the South, lighter breads made of wheat are the favourites.

The most commonly used flour in German bread baking is rye, either on its own or combined with another flour, such as wheat or spelt. Other popular ingredients used in German breads include oats, barley, onions, nuts, sunflower seeds, poppy and sesame seeds, cheese, bacon, herbs, and various spices.

Germany as a whole produces by far the most varieties of breads. Over 300 varieties of dark and white breads and over 1,200 varieties of rolls and mini-breads (Brötchen & Kleingebäck) are produced in Germany.”

Blankenloch



No comments: