Amazon

Monday 1 August 2011

Egg fried rice and prawns

I made this dish last night after being inspired by a dvd of Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers. He didn't demonstrate this recipe but it was so simple that inspiration took hold and I made it again in daylight.




Simply boil some basmati rice (enough for however many you want to serve) and put aside while you prepare a simple paste of hot red pepper and four sections of garlic and chopped mint in some olive oil. As extra depth you can throw in a few fennel ground seeds and a dash of sea salt. Throw in a small amount of fresh peas for colour and taste.




Now cook through the paste in some hot oil (takes five minutes max) add the fresh prawns and toss. The bigger the tosser you are the better it will taste! Apparently.

Put the tossed mxture aside for five minutes and fry the rice lightly in a wok. When gently fried add two raw eggs and mix with rice forking all the while to seperate the rice from the egg to achieve a clean un-scrambled result.



As all is coming together, quickly re-heat the paste/prawn mixture and place in a bowl on top of the rice adding a couple of garden fresh mint leaves as garnish. Open a cold beer and enjoy!!! Heaven on plate!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks a tasty dish. I bet it didn't last long!

Unknown said...

Quite literally heaven on a plate there my friend. I lobe the sound of the paste. Totally aromatic!

MorningAJ said...

Looks good to me!

John Medd said...

It's up there with anything I've cribbed from the great Ken Hom - I'll give it a blast at the weekend Phil.

Karenjane said...

One I will try at the weekend - & thanks for the explaination of egg fried rice. I usually end up with a soggy mess when I try, so obviously my tecnique isn't right. Hopefully your method with be a success.