Amazon

Friday 16 October 2009

Up at 4am!

I've a had a busy few days lately but have had a chance to eat some nice food too. Over two days I made the most of some uncooked prawns and did myself a prawn, noodles and salad dish one day followed by a prawn omelette the following day with a side salad. I used quite a lot of chopped fresh ginger to fight a cold that seems to be persisting.




I went to bed really early last night and lay reading until I fell asleep. We are talking 8 o'clock in the evening. Being a huge Francophile I lost myself in the amusing pages of Karen Wheeler's book Tout Sweet borrowed from the library. Previous to that I had listened to BBC Radio online (listen again) on their piece about the French singer song writer Serge Gainsbourg.




I must have nodded off quite early and awoke at about 4am and, not being able to get back to sleep, got up and baked a loaf of bread (with fennel seeds) and a bulk load of French madeleine cakes, like you do. It was pitch black outside at 6am as the baking stint came to a close. I had a cup of Carte Noire coffee and dipped my cake into the hot coffee!!! Well worth getting up early for to get that almond essence rush! Yummy.




As I was about to go this morning to meet up with my friend Stephen my neighbour and sweet friend Jo invited me for a coffee at Delilah in Nottingham. It was a quick visit but as always, Jo was super company.




Tonight I am hitting my cold with lots of garlic, black pepper and onions in a pork stew. Mange bien!

6 comments:

Janette said...

OMG - 4am? I too have had trouble sleeping but I tend to stay in my nice warm bed and listen to the dulcet tones of my husband's snoring - perhaps I should start baking bread?

Unknown said...

Garlic, pepper and onions. Just as well you don't have a wife at the moment, otherwise you'll kill her with your breath!

Hope the sniffles go soon.

Karenjane said...

We drink the same instant coffee! And like Janette I tend to lie in bed, stricken with insomnia,& all I can hear is Steve snoring. Next time I will make bread , or even pannetonne.

Marian Barker said...

Mmmmmmm - the prawn dish looks yummy

Phil Lowe said...

Yes Janette, 4am. Urgh! At least I don't have to listen to your husband snoring!!

Gail's Man, if I re-married she would have to love garlic. Vampires do not apply here.

Marian, the prawn dish was lovely and I have recently been out and purchased some crevettes. Yummy too.


Karen! I wondered where all my coffee had gone! What is pannetonne please?

Karenjane said...

I spelt it wrong...it should have read Panettone, It's that lovely Italian sweet bread, popular around Christmas, in a sort of giant flowerpot shape. If you fancy making some, I have a couple of recipes.